LMAS Details Temporary Food License Requirements


This is the time of year when food service establishments, which include restaurants, vending machines, cafeterias, mobile units, temporary food service establishments and special transient food units, must update their licenses via the local office of the LMAS district health department.

Temporary food licenses are required for operations that serve potentially unsafe food to the public for 14 consecutive days or less. Applications must be submitted and an on-site inspection will be scheduled prior to the event.

Guidelines for temporary event facilities and LMAS environmental health programs focus on the prevention of communicable diseases and environmental conditions that could be harmful to the public health community.

We provide these guidelines to help you serve a safe food product to your customers. Temporary low-risk food licenses are required for operations that serve low-risk food to the public for 14 consecutive days or less. Applications must be submitted and an “in office” consultation will be scheduled during normal business hours at least 1 week prior to the event.

The consultation with the Sanitary and the designated manager can last 30 minutes or more. If it is determined that an on-site inspection is necessary, the fee is increased at the rate indicated above and the license will not be issued until after the inspection.

Low-risk foods may include items such as: pre-cooked hot dogs, sausages or burgers, popcorn/hot corn, nachos, pretzels, cotton candy, SnoCones, coffee, hot chocolate, prepackaged and bulk ice cream, pizza frozen, pizza prepared and sliced ​​in a licensed kitchen, pancakes (just add water), frozen fries (commercially processed), and coated or uncoated nuts.

Types of food service include:

• A fixed establishment is an installation that is a permanent location. It is an operation where food or drink is prepared for consumption directly through service on or off the premises, and any other food or beverage establishment or operation where food is served or provided to the public.

• A mobile catering establishment means a catering establishment operated from a vehicle, trailer or watercraft that is not fully equipped for full catering service and, therefore, must return to a certified steward at least once every 24 hours for servicing and maintenance. The commissioner’s license number must be recorded in the appropriate place for this request to be processed.

• A vending machine location is a room, enclosure, space or area where one or more vending machines are installed and operated. Where there are multiple vending machine locations in a building, each must be licensed separately.

• A Special Transitional Food Unit (STFU) is a temporary food establishment licensed to operate statewide without the 14-day limits or a mobile food establishment that is not required to return to a commissary.


Comments are closed.