SLRD says residents will be notified as soon as possible if an evacuation order is put in place due to flooding issues
An evacuation alert has been issued by the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (SLRD) due to concerns about flooding in parts of the Pemberton Meadows area and Electoral Zone C (see maps).
The BC River Forecast Center has issued flood monitoring for the Sea to Sky and Lower Fraser regions due to the heavy precipitation caused by the ongoing atmospheric river event and it is possible that current high water levels waters observed in the Arn Canal rise further before this. the weather system passes.
“An evacuation alert has been issued to prepare you to evacuate your premises or property if necessary. Residents will be given as early notice as possible prior to evacuation; however, you may receive limited notice due to changing conditions, ”said an SLRD press release on November 27.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
- Locate all family members and designate a meeting area outside of the evacuation area if an evacuation order is called during separation.
- Carry essential items such as government issued ID, medicines, glasses, valuables (for example, insurance, credit, and mortgage information), health care needs immediate dependents and, time and space permitting, memories for a quick start.
- Be prepared to move people with disabilities, children and / or neighbors, if assistance is needed.
- Be prepared to bring pets with you and move the livestock to a safe location (if possible).
- If transportation assistance is required, call SLRD EOC at (604) 894-6371.
- Wait for an evacuation order to be issued before evacuating.
Further information will be published in notices at www.slrd.bc.ca and through the SLRD alert messaging service. You can subscribe to SLRD Alert for free at www.slrd.bc.ca/slrdalert for receive emergency notifications by e-mail, SMS and voicemail.